2015 in figures
Message from our Management
Frans Muller and Marc Croonen share their thoughts on the Group’s 2015 sustainability performance.
“Our sustainability goals are ambitious, but these commitments - and the hard work of all our associates - helped us reclaim a spot on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.”
- Frans Muller
- Marc Croonen
Progress toward our Group-wide 2020 sustainability goals
- 2015 performance summary By measuring progress quarterly and increasing cross-company collaboration, we made significant progress in addressing critical sustainability issues. This included improving private brand product sustainability and nutrition, expanding food donation programs and supporting healthy habits for our associates and customers.
- Sustainable private brands We improved our products’ nutritional profiles; expanded sustainable seafood offerings and use of sustainable palm oil; and worked with suppliers to assess and improve working conditions in our supply chains.
- Zero waste We further reduced food waste in our operations through innovative programs that increased our donations of unsold food (particularly fresh products) from individual stores to local charities. We also continued reducing greenhouse gas emissions and increasing recycling rates.
- Healthy lifestyles We supported educational programs, health clinics and sporting events to help improve associates’ health and workplace safety. We also encouraged healthy eating choices among our customers and associates by expanding initiatives that make it easier to quickly identify nutritious products.
- Associate diversity & development In 2015, we implemented new trainings to create a more inclusive, supportive workplace, addressing relevant diversity issues in each of our markets. We also continued to support professional and personal development of our associates through training and development programs.
- Communities, Awards & Partnerships We supported local communities across our operating regions with financial assistance, volunteer hours and merchandise donations. We also partnered with likeminded organizations to increase our impact. Many of these efforts received awards and other forms of recognition.
A look at each of our operating company’s 2015 sustainability achievements
We increased use of sustainable palm oil and continued to improve the traceability of our seafood; we expanded Moving to Zero Waste programs focused on reducing food waste and increased recycling; we encouraged associate diversity via support of transgender and LGBT associates.
We established new partnerships to donate unsold fresh food to needy families; we built on past success of the 52 Weeks program to help feed needy children nationwide; we advanced our Mediterranean Fisheries Improvement Project; and we supported our associates and communities with free counseling and health screenings.
We continued to reduce plastic bag use and compost food waste, while teaching customers about the importance of both; we initiated collaborations to certify aquaculture farms we source from in Indonesia; and we increased programs to support health and wellbeing for our communities.
We innovated with our private brands to improve nutritional profiles and sustainability; we overcame barriers to allow donations of fresh, unsold food to charities; and we expanded education about healthy eating and ways to find nutritious products in our stores.
We put private brand Romanian products in the spotlight and expanded support for traditional agriculture; we introduced sustainability concepts to our customers; we advocated healthy lifestyles through events for associates and customers.
We launched the first program in Serbia to donate unsold fruits and vegetables from stores to people in need; we inspired kids to eat healthy and get active through new kids lunch products and education programs with the Serbian Olympic team; and we dramatically reduced greenhouse gas emissions by tackling refrigerant leaks and upgrading lighting.
Find out more about some of our most innovative sustainability projects
Sustainable private brands
Focusing on Romanian tastesMega Image launches concept stores that feature only locally sourced private brand products. Read more
Creating better school lunchesDelhaize Serbia develops nutritious lunchbox meals to help reduce childhood obesity. Read more
Sustainable private brands
Improving aquacultureSuper Indo’s ambitious partnership with suppliers to track and source sustainable farmed seafood. Read more
Targeting food wasteDelhaize’s comprehensive plan to address food waste across the grocery value chain in Belgium and Luxembourg. Read more
Associate Diversity & Development
Including all associatesDelhaize America earns a perfect score on the Human Rights Commission’s Corporate Equality Index. Read more
Supporting our communities
Feeding a nationAlfa Beta stores donate surplus food directly to hunger relief agencies throughout Greece. Read more